- Posted by Poston Communications
- On May 4, 2017
- careers, college, internship, PR, public relations, students, training
Summer is just around the corner, and many college students and recent graduates are gearing up for internships.
Poston offers internships in the summer, fall and spring in Atlanta and Orlando, and many students have used those 12 weeks of professional mentorship and hands-on experience as a springboard to success in PR roles.
A study published by Forbes found that 63 percent of college graduates who completed a paid internship received a job offer, compared to 35 percent who never interned. In addition, graduates with paid internships received a starting salary that was 28 percent higher than their peers without internship experience.
So after you’ve landed an internship, how can you make the most of it?
- Adopt a can-do attitude and don’t be afraid to ask for more challenging projects if you find yourself being assigned to only mundane tasks. This approach will show your eagerness to learn and will better your learning experience as a whole.
- Be ready for constructive criticism and ask for it if you are not getting it. You can’t grow if you don’t know what you can improve.
- Ask questions! Your co-workers know that you are new and want to help you as much as possible. If your co-workers appear too busy, jot down your questions and ask them at a more appropriate time.
- Get to know people from different teams within the company to learn about their roles. Learning about all aspects of the company will help you better understand the company and you may find yourself intrigued by a certain position.
- Look for opportunities to observe. Ask your supervisor if you may sit in on calls and meetings so that you can take a few notes. This way you can add in your own value and ideas to projects when appropriate.
- Keep a journal to help you remember what you did, who you worked with and the results you had. This will come in handy when building your resume or portfolio and preparing for interviews.
An internship is a great platform for learning, networking and inevitably launching a career, so make the most of it!