- Posted by Poston Communications
- On August 11, 2016
As part of a newly revamped intern program, Poston Communications has developed summer coaching sessions for our interns and junior PR professionals that are also a fun way to learn. A friendly game of bingo provided an interactive opportunity to discuss business development and public relations tactics that drive revenue.
Led by our Senior Vice President Monica Smith, the bingo game covered crucial tactics that were represented on the squares of each card.
Here were some of our favorite takeaways:
- Begin at the Beginning. Map and create a timeline to better understand the clients’ journey and “path to purchase” (or, more accurately, “path to engage”).
- Collaborate and Educate. Include the PR team members in internal business development team meetings – and vice versa – so that they can understand the current direction of the practice, can suggest ways to leverage PR to support business development efforts, and can take advantage of new developments, new hires, big wins, emerging trends and notable achievements. Similarly, the business development team members will better understand the communications strategy.
- Work with Firm Leadership. Form an attorney “think tank” focused on identifying emerging trends that can be used as key topics for PR and business development initiatives, such as what services and counsel are driving revenue, new practice areas, new products and services, etc., to differentiate your firm from competitors.
- Conduct Training. Host internal business development “lunch and learns” on specific practice areas for PR teams and other business development practice area professionals, so that they are better educated on the practice’s substance.
- Strengthen Client Relationships. Conduct a community service project with a client and pursue publicity together.
While some of these tactics may have seemed obvious to us at first, this coaching session reminded us how easy it is to overlook seemingly straightforward tactics that hit the jackpot when it comes to generating revenue.
Caroline Duley is an assistant account executive at Poston Communications, based in Orlando.