How to Generate Buzz on an Evergreen Topic
- Posted by Poston Communications
- On March 1, 2017
- content, evergreen, public relations
With breaking news happening daily, it may be hard to tend to an evergreen issue that has been dismissed as “timeless.” On the other hand, the demand for content never ends. If tackled correctly, evergreen topics can enhance your credibility, build industry authority, improve SEO and drive traffic for years.
Here are a few tips to make your evergreen story buzz (and maybe even go viral!):
- Be relevant, valuable and timely to your target audience. The main problem people face when tackling evergreen topics is the “timelessness,” and therefore unimportance of the topic. Locate a timely or relevant aspect of the issue and run with it.
- Cover gaps that similar content has failed to address. Explore new perspectives of an issue and address the overseen and seemingly self-explanatory facets.
- Teach readers how the issue can benefit them. Whether it is formatted as a “how to” guide, a “frequently asked questions” list or a “beginner’s checklist,” instructional content has a long shelf life and enables individuals to take action. While you may be an industry expert, your readers are likely not. Use simply stated language to attract the largest possible audience.
- Tweet it, link it and share it. A useful method to get your content in front of others is to post it on your social media sites. Share a link to your website on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn pages. The evergreen nature will allow others to share the content today, next week, next month and next year. When another timely aspect comes up, you’ll be able to create buzz again without too much effort.
While stories concerning breaking news command immediate attention, they also may be short-lived. Evergreen content never gets old. Take advantage of those timeless opportunities to highlight a topic others have overlooked.