Start Your PR Career Right with 3 Keys for Success
- Posted by Poston Communications
- On March 1, 2018
- careers in communications, college, communications, internship, Poston Communications, professional development
Most of us can’t wait to graduate and start a career … until we start. Change, both personally and professional, can be scary, and it takes some time getting used to the real world.
Whether you’re starting a post-graduate internship or your first job in communications, here are three tips for success in your first year on the job:
- Work smarter, not harder. Managing your time and prioritizing your work is critical when adjusting to a new job. It’s important to understand how much time you should be dedicating to a project or assignment and then knowing how to use that time efficiently.
- Be proactive. A sage piece of advice: If you don’t know the answer to a question, Google it first! It’s easy to quickly jump to asking before trying to figure out a solution yourself, so remember, be proactive in your thinking. Is there something you can do or a solution you can propose before seeking help?
- Find a mentor. Who do you admire? Developing a relationship with a mentor – someone whom you can trust and respect, too – is critical. This should be the person who shares tips and advice, pushes you to do things you didn’t think were possible and continuously inspires you to look ahead and grow.
Start by looking for a mentor in your workplace, but other places to find mentors include networking events and volunteer activities. Also, think about who in your past has inspired you and is someone you feel comfortable talking to about anything from your career to your personal interests.
[ Interested in joining our team? Check out our internship opportunities. ]